Vet Camp Externship Program
Summer 2019 Vet Camp
By attending Vet Camp, you'll experience a week of various hands-on activities, while gaining exposure to what it's like to attend veterinary school and live on the island. This camp is for Puerto Rico residents only.
Some things you'll get to do include:
- Meet current RUSVM Students
- Explore St. Kitts
- Observe a large animal surgery
- Particpate in a skills lab
- Take a complete tour of the campus
- Meet the vet-school faculty
- Learn about veterinary-school admissions
2019 dates are full but look back in the future for 2020 information. Click here if you are interested in learning more about Ross Vet.
Find out what it's like to be a veterinary student and meet the vet-school faculty.
Take a complete tour of campus. Your experience will be unforgetable, made even more so by the exrtaordinary and exotic environment of St. Kitts.
From attending veterinary-school lectures to working with equipment in the labs, you'll get a first-hand look into how vet students are trained for careers beyond the exam room. You may even get to assist with ongoing veterinary research.
Under the supervision of Ross Vet faculty and/or technical staff, you may participate in:
- Pathology exercise/necropsy
- Suturing lab, practicing suturing the body wall on models
- Emergency case-management lab
- Observe diagnostics and treatments in the companion animal clinic
- Shadow a large animal surgical laboratory
- Attend veterinary lectures
- Attend research seminars and journal clubs
Our home on the Caribbean island of St. Kitts places us in a region rich in contrasting ecosystems and socio-economic situations, public-health issues, and close animal human interactions. All of this provides the ideal backdrop for conducting surveillance and research programs of strategic importance to the developing world.
- There are two sessions: June 30 – July 6, 2019 and July 14 - July 20, 2019
- A limit of 5 students will be accepted per session
- Housing will be provided for the students
- Students are responsible for their airfare and per diem expenses
- Applicants are reviewed for academic strength
- Consideration will be given to students who demonstrate a strong command of English in their essays/statements
- Students must be a junior or senior in college
What’s it like to be a DVM student at Ross? Eight undergraduate students from Puerto Rico learned just that at RUSVM Vet Camp.