find out what it takes
PhD by Research Admissions Requirements
Admission is open to students with a professional veterinary or medical qualification, or a bachelor’s degree or international equivalent in the biological sciences. Applicants will be selected on the basis of their educational performance to date and their ability to demonstrate a sustained interest in research.
Based on the research content of the applicant’s professional qualification or first degree, a master's degree may be required. Additionally, students may be required to enroll in a Master of Science by Research (MSc by Research) degree program for a probationary period before converting to the PhD degree program.
Since we operate under rolling admissions, there are no application deadlines. We continue to accept applications leading up to each start term.
PhD by Research Prerequisites
Due to the importance of written and spoken skills to successfully undertake this degree program, a high-level of English proficiency is required and applicants whose native language is not English will be asked to provide evidence of proficiency through test scores and/or education/professional experience in the medium of English.
If English is not your primary language, or if you did not complete your undergraduate degree at a postsecondary institution where courses were taught in English, you will be requested to provide Ross Vet with your official record of scores for one of the following:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT — preferred minimum score on the computer-based test is as follows: 25 Listening; 22 Writing; 22 Speaking; 23 Reading.
- IGCSE English (First language) Grade B — International English Language Testing System (IELTS) — 7.0
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic — 67
- Cambridge English: Advanced & Proficiency overall 185
In addition to their application, applicants will be asked to submit the following materials:
- Personal statement (300 words or less) of reasons for wishing to undertake the MSc by Research program
- Official transcripts from undergraduate institution
- 2 letters of recommendation; 1 professional, 1 academic
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
You may send all materials before, during, or after submitting your online application, but we must receive them before your application can be considered complete. Please upload all materials via the online application or send to:
Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine
Office of Admissions
630 US Highway 1
North Brunswick, NJ 08902
Applicants may also email materials to [email protected].