WELCOME TO THE DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING
The Housing Department strives to provide high-quality services to the students at Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine.
At Ross, we aim to contribute to the educational experience of our students by offering a diversity of housing options and related services. The housing office works to facilitate access to affordable, secure, clean, and comfortable living environments, which also meet our minimum safety standards. We are committed to the continuous development of positive and pleasant relations between and among the Ross community and the community at large. We also seek to enhance the non-academic experiences of students through our services, programs and events.
In addition to facilitating finding housing, the we strive to:
- Promote opportunities for students to connect with others.
- Develop a strong and enduring sense of belonging.
- Establish an environment rooted in mutual respect and civility where students of varying backgrounds and cultural differences are respected and celebrated.
Our office is located on the east-side of the Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine campus in the Campus Living Residences, Chief Tegreman Hall 111.
Adele Straun, Housing Manager: 869.465.4161 x401-1179
Dereka Thompson, Assistant Manager - Campus Living: 869.465.4161 x401-1303
Andrea Liburd, Assistant Manager - Housing Generalist: 869.465.4161 x401-1300
Colleen Govia, Administrative Assistant for Housing: 869.465.4161 x401-1181
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, Closed
On Campus or off?
All new and incoming students are required to live on campus for their first semester, unless approved to live off campus due to special circumstances. New students coming to St. Kitts with children are automatically approved to live off campus.
The Campus Living Residences are considered "transitional housing," i.e. students are only allowed to live on campus for their first term at RUSVM whether they enter as a traditional semester one student or through the Vet Prep program. After the end of that first term, they are required to obtain off-campus housing.
Complementing the campus life experience are our Residence Advisers/Assistants (RAs), who are an integral part of life at the campus residence halls. They help to promote positive community life on campus while contributing toward the social, cultural, and intellectual development of campus residents. From the time you meet your orientation group, to the time you'll share with classmates at campus socials and cultural events, you will create lifelong friendships and lasting professional relationships.We look forward to welcoming you to our community!
Campus Living Handbook (PDF)
Campus Living Agreement (PDF)
On Campus Housing
Located on the east side of campus by the Caribbean Sea, the University’s Campus Living Residences offers rooms to approximately 140 students in five residences. The Campus Living Residences have 100 efficiency units, 15 double occupancy units, and 4 triple occupancy units.
All rooms Include:
- Efficiency kitchen (refrigerator, sink, stove top, microwave, toaster oven, and coffee maker
- Bathroom (shower, sink and toilet)
- High-speed Internet connection in each unit (cable not provided)
- Phone in every unit that allows for on-campus dialing and free Internet calling (VoIP) to the U.S.A., Canada and Puerto Rico
- Cable TV hook-up. Televisions are not provided in apartment units. You may bring or purchase one here if you wish, but keep in mind that once you move into off-campus housing, your new home will likely have a television. Premium Cable TV is also offered free of charge in each apartment building’s air-conditioned lounge
- Wireless network accessible in all lounges
- The units are wired for 110 volts
Each Standard Room Includes:
- Bed frame, 76” x 55”.
- Hangers (set of 10).
- Dresser (six drawers).
- Two arm chairs.
- Two small lamps with shades.
- Stovetop with two burners.
- Toaster oven.
- Coffee maker.
- Window blinds.
- Shower curtain with hooks.
- Pots and pans, seven pc (includes three saucepans with lids and stainless fry pan).
- Corelle Dinnerware, 20 pc (set includes four each of the following: dinner plates, salad/dessert plates, saucers, soup/cereal bowls and cups).
- Glasses, eight pc (four small, six and a half oz; four tall, 10 and a half oz).
- Silverware, set of 20 pc (meat fork, salad fork, knife, teaspoon for four persons; serving spoons).
- Silverware holder.
- Cooking utensils, 25 pc (stainless steel steak knife, kitchen knife, basting spoon, slotted spoon, ladle, slotted turner, cutting board, etc.).
- Garbage receptacle, kitchen.
- Garbage receptacle, bathroom.
Each Campus Living Residence Offers:
- Study lounge
- TV lounge (cable TV)
- Laundry rooms with card-operated washers and dryers, irons and ironing boards
- Janitor closet access for plunger, broom, dust pan, and mop
- Jogging path located around the perimeter of the Campus Living Residences
- In-house spa services available to the entire RUSVM Community
- Room Furnishings
It is RUSVM's policy that all students living off campus must select off-campus housing from listed properties, which is further explained below. For additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RUSVM Off Campus Housing Policy
RUSVM has worked alongside landlords and property managers to establish minimum security standards with the aim of reducing burglaries and break-ins where our students live off campus. The properties published on the RUSVM Off-Campus Housing website, the “Listed Properties,” have met these standards.
To enhance the safety and security of RUSVM students, RUSVM requires all new students and those students transitioning out of campus housing to obtain housing in Listed Properties.
While living in Listed Properties will not eliminate the risk of an incident, the University believes this course of action may enhance the safety and security of the RUSVM community members and allow more effective deployment of our security forces.
Failure to comply with this policy may result in action by RUSVM. Please refer to the policy within the RUSVM student handbook to review the full policy to ensure your understanding and compliance.
There are many properties that are not listed for a number of reasons, including but not limited to the properties failing to comply with RUSVM’s security standards, location (may be in a deserted area or outside of the RUSVM Safety and Security Department patrol zone) or as a result of prior issues between RUSVM students and the landlord or property manager.
Our Off-Campus Housing website offers a selection of Listed Properties for approved incoming students, for students living on island and for faculty members who are in need of housing. Students have sole control over selecting the accommodations of their choice from the listed properties. The RUSVM Housing Department does not assign housing to students and is therefore not responsible for the terms of the lease between the landlord or property manager and student/tenant. We are here to assist you from your planning stages to move to the island right through to your move off island.
RUSVM MAKES NO GUARANTEE OR WARANTY WITH RESPECT TO THE CONDITION, CLEANLINESS OR LOOK OF THE LISTED PROPERTIES WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ARISING BY LAW, CUSTOM, PRIOR ORAL OR WRITTEN STATEMENTS, BY RUSVM, OR OTHERWISE.
ALL STUDENTS NEED TO CARRY OUT THEIR OWN DUE DILIGENCE OF THE LISTED PROPERTIES TO DETERMINE IF THE LISTED PROPERTIES SATISFY THE STUDENT’S NEEDS.
RUSVM WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR (1) ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, (2) COMMERCIAL LOSS OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING LOSS OF BUSINESS OR PROFITS), OR (3) LOSS, DAMAGE OR EXPENSE DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY ARISING FROM THIS AGREEMENT; BASED UPON BREACH OF WARRANTY, BREACH OF CONTRACT, WHETHER OR NOT RUSVM HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE OR LOSS.
***To secure housing requires entering into an agreement with a property manager/landowner. Legal counsel can offer the best guidance on a lease or agreement. Therefore, a renter should seek legal counsel before signing a lease or entering into an agreement and at any time during the tenancy agreement.
Off-Campus Housing Tips
- Determine your budget for an RUSVM listed propertyDecide whether you want to live alone or with a roommate
- Determine the area where you want to live (i.e. near or farther away from campus). Consider the cost of a car into your budget, even if you intend to live close to campus.
- Begin your search for your RUSVM listed property.
Neighborhoods with listed properties close to campus:
- West Farm
- Mattingley Heights (transportation required)
- Camps (transportation required)
Neighborhoods with listed properties further away from campus
- Fortlands (transportation required)
- New Road Housing (transportation required)
- Cedar Grove (transportation required)
- Bird Rock (transportation required)
- Frigate Bay (transportation required)
Off-Campus Housing Website
The Off-Campus Housing website is accessible to approved/registered RUSVM students via MyRoss and it is available to assist students in finding housing. Approved incoming students must obtain housing prior to arriving on St.Kitts. The RUSVM Housing Department works in partnership with each landlord that agrees to abide by the Landlord Code of Conduct to secure student residences. To access the Off-campus Housing website, login to MyRoss, Student Resources and St. Kitts Housing.
New Student Arrival
Book your flights now!
New incoming students must secure housing before arriving in St Kitts. Pet and family arrivals are being accommodated on Friday, December 29, 2017 through to Sunday, December 31, 2017. If you arrive before these dates you stand the chance of not having your accommodations ready for occupancy and there are no hotel accommodations that accept pets.
Bringing Your Pets
Students planning to bring their pets should ensure all requirements for importation to St. Kitts have been met and check with their airline carriers to ensure that they have a confirmed ticket for the pet. Please visit Preparing to Move to St. Kitts for complete information.