Aline Bomfim Vieira, DVM, Msc, PhD
P.O. Box 334
Basseterre, St. Kitts, West Indies
Location: Faculty Offices I
Phone: +1 869-465-4161 Ext. 401-1319
Dr. Aline Vieira is an Associate Professor and course coordinator of Veterinary Physiology I at Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. Since 2022 she is also Head of the Division for Physiology, Pharmacology, and Toxicology. Dr. Vieira is originally from Brazil, where she received her DVM degree in 1999 from the Federal Fluminense University (UFF). She then completed a Residency in Small Animal Medicine at the Londrina State University and a Master of Science in Veterinary Clinical Sciences at Federal Fluminense University, Brazil. From 2009-2013 she performed her PhD in Cellular and Molecular Biology at the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Brazil. In 2013, she was awarded with a governmental scholarship to perform a Post-Doctoral training at the University of Queensland in Australia. Back to Brazil, she worked as a postdoctoral fellow at the State University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from 2015-2016.
Dr. Vieira is passionate for teaching and have been a lecturer in the field of physiology, endocrinology and metabolism since 2007. She is also an active researcher and her interests include endocrine physiology and endocrine and metabolic diseases of dogs and cats.
- DVM - Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro - Brazil – 1994-1999
- Externship in Cardiovascular Physiology – Ohio State University – USA - 1999
- Residency - Universidade Estadual de Londrina – Brazil – 2001-2003
- Externship in Small Animal Medicine – University of Illinois at UC – USA - 2002
- Master of Science - Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro - Brazil – 2005 - 2007
- PhD - Oswaldo Cruz Foundation – Brazil – 2009 - 2013
- Postdoctoral Fellowship - University of Queensland – Australia - 2013 - 2014
- Postdoctoral Fellowship - State University of Rio de Janeiro – Brazil – 2015- 2016
- Endocrine physiology
- Endocrine and metabolic diseases of dogs and cats
- Effect of hormones and endocrine/metabolic diseases on physiological parameters in dog and cats
- Effect of exercise on cardiovascular and metabolic parameters on clinical and experimental diabetes/obesity
- Effect of drugs and natural products on clinical and experimental endocrine/metabolic diseases
- RUSVM SAVMA 2022 Leadership and Excellence Award for outstanding Contribution to RUSVM and/or the St. Kitts community. March 2022
- RUSVM SAVMA 2021 Leadership and Excellence Award for outstanding Contribution to RUSVM and/or the St. Kitts community. April 2021
- Early Career Author Prize 2017 from Experimental Physiology to the first author (Marcus Machado) - Exercise training dose differentially alters muscle and heart capillary density and metabolic functions in an obese rat with metabolic syndrome. Experimental Physiology. Dec 1;102(12):1716-1728, 2017.
- Editor’s choice in Experimental Physiology - Exercise training dose differentially alters muscle and heart capillary density and metabolic functions in an obese rat with metabolic syndrome. Experimental Physiology. Dec 1;102(12):1716-1728, 2017.
- Award from the Society of Comparative Endocrinology – SCE for the abstract “Effect of The Stage Of Chronic Kidney Disease On Serum Total Thyroxine In Cats. ACVIM FORUM, New Orleans, USA, 2012.
Peer Review Journals
- Machado MV, Chapuis R, Vieira AB.Can Exercise Training Prevent Doxorubicin-induced Cardiomyopathy?. Int. J. Cardiovasc. Sci. 2022;35(6):727-9.
- Sarah M. Cavanaugh, Ryan P. Cavanaugh, Renee Streeter, Aline B. Vieira, Gregory E. Gilbert, Jennifer K. Ketzis. Commercial extruded plant-based diet lowers circulating levels of trimethylamine N-oxide (TMAO) precursors in healthy dogs: A pilot study. Frontiers in Veterinary Medicine. 2022 Jul 7;9:936092. doi: 10.3389/fvets.2022.936092. eCollection 2022
- Aline Bomfim Vieira, Juliana Werner, Fernanda Vieira Amorim da Costa, Sara Maria de Carvalho e Suzano, Nayro Xavier de Alencar. Skin fragility syndrome in a cat with chronic cholangiohepatitis secondary to Platynosomum fastosum infection. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2022 Apr 11;259(S2):1-4. https://doi: 10.2460/javma.20.03.0111.
- Vieira, A.B., Restrepo, M.A., Auzenne, D. et al. Mild to moderate overweight in dogs: is there an impact on routine hematological and biochemical profiles, echocardiographic parameters and cardiac autonomic modulation?Vet Res Commun (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11259-021-09880-6
- Cavanaugh SM, Cavanaugh RP, Gilbert GE, Leavitt E, Ketzis JK, Vieira AB. Short-term amino acid, clinicopathologic, and echocardiographic findings in healthy dogs fed a commercial plant-based diet. PLoS One 2021 Oct 12;16(10): e0258044.
- L.Jotha-Mattosa, A.B.Vieira, M. da S.M.Castelo, A.S. de M.Queiroz, H.J.M.de Souza, N.X.de Alencar, L.M.T.R.Lima. Amyloidogenesis of feline amylin and plasma levels in cats with diabetes mellitus or pancreatitis. Domestic Animal Endocrinology, 2021 Jan;74:106532.
- Beatriz Alexandre-Santos, Renata Alves, Cristiane Matsuura, Vinicius Sepúlveda-Fragoso, Larissa Lírio Velasco, Marcus Vinícius Machado, Aline Bomfim Vieira, Tiago Fernandes, Edilamar Menezes Oliveira, Eduardo Tibiriçá, Antonio Claudio Lucas da Nóbrega, D'Angelo Carlo Magliano, Eliete Dalla Corte Frantz. Modulation of cardiac renin-angiotensin system, redox status and inflammatory profile by different volumes of aerobic exercise training in obese rats. Free Radic Biol Med, 21;156:125-136, 2020.
- Nayro X. de Alencar; Sabrina D.E. Campos; Daniel de B. Macieira; Sara Maria de C. e Suzano; Aline B. Vieira. Langerhans cell histiocytosis in a french bulldog. JAVMA, 256(5):559-562, 2020.
- Priscila G. Pereira, Kissila Rabelo, Jemima F. R. da Silva, Bianca T. Ciambarella, Ana L.R. Nascimento, Aline B. Vieira, Jorge J. de Carvalho. Aliskiren improves renal morphophysiology and inflammation in Wistar rats with 2K1C renovascular hypertension. Histology and Histopathology. Histol Histopathol 35, 609-621, 2020.
- Beatriz Alexandre-Santos; Marcus Vinicius Machado; Larissa Lírio Velasco; Agatha Cristie Menezes; Aline Bomfim Vieira; Vinicius Sepúlveda-Fragoso; Juliana Pereira Borges; Eduardo Tibiriçá; D’Angelo Carlo Magliano; Antonio Claudio Lucas da Nóbrega; Eliete Dalla Corte Frantz. Exercise-induced cardiac opioid system activation attenuates apoptosis pathway in obese rats. Life Sciences. Jun 6. pii: S0024-3205(19)30462-X, 2019.
- Marcus Vinicius Machado, Aline Bomfim Vieira, Eduardo Tibiriça. Microcirculation, metabolic syndrome and exercise: Does exercise dose matter? Physiology News Magazine. Issue Number 116, 2019 (invited non peer-review article). DOI:10.36866/pn.116.37
- Aline Bomfim Vieira. Does diet matter when treating feline diabetes mellitus? Veterinary Practice News. August 2019 (invited non peer-review article). https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/diabetes-mellitus-november-2019/
- Marinho, P.C.; Vieira, A.B.; Pereira, P.G; Rabelo, et al. Capybara Oil Improves Hepatic Mitochondrial Dysfunction, Steatosis, and Inflammation in a Murine Model of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Evidence-Based Complementary and alternative Medicine. 2018 Apr 29; 2018:4956079.
- Aline Bomfim Vieira. Long Term Effect of Obesity in Dogs and Cats – Pet Central / Chewy.com. October 2018 (invited non peer-review article). https://be.chewy.com/pet-obesity-health-risks-and-how-you-can-help-lab-ls-add-products-at-the-bottom/
- Machado, Marcus; Vieira, Aline; Conceição, Fabiana; Nascimento, Alessandro; Nóbrega, Antonio Claudio; Tibiriçá, Eduardo. Exercise training dose differentially alters muscle and heart capillary density and metabolic functions in an obese rat with metabolic syndrome. Experimental Physiology. Dec 1;102(12):1716-1728, 2017.
- Frantz, Eliete; Giore, Isabela; Machado, Marcus; Magliano, D’angelo; Freitas, Fernanda; Andrade, Mariana; Vieira, Aline; Nóbrega, Antonio Claudio; Tibiriçá, Eduardo. High, but not low exercise volume, shifts the balance of renin angiotensin system towards ACE2/Mas receptor axis in skeletal muscle in obese rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 313: E473–E482, 2017.
- Nascimento, AR; Machado, MV, Gomes F; Vieira AB; Gonçalves-de-Albuquerque, C; Lessa, MA; Bousquet, P; Tibiriçá E. Central sympathetic modulation reverses microvascular alterations in a rat model of high-fat diet-induced metabolic syndrome. Microcirculation, 2016 May 23 (4): 320-9.
- Machado, Marcus Vinicius; Martins R.F.L.; Borges, Juliana; Antunes, B.R.; Estato, Vanessa; Vieira, A.B.; Tibiriça, E. Exercise training reverses structural microvascular rarefaction and improves endothelium-dependent microvascular reactivity in diabetic rats. Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 2016 Aug 14 (6):298-304.
- Machado, Marcus Vinicius; Vieira, A. B.; NASCIMENTO, ALESSANDRO R.; LANZA, Rômulo; DALEPRANE, Julio B.; LESSA, Marcos Adriano; TIBIRICA, Eduardo. Physical exercise restores microvascular function in obese rats with metabolic syndrome. Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, v. 12, p. 484-9, 2014.
- Vieira, A. B.; COELHO, L. P.; SANTOS, M. H.; Silva, P.M.R.; Martins, M.A. Mangiferin Prevents Guinea Pig Tracheal Contraction via Activation of the Nitric Oxide-Cyclic GMP Pathway. Plos One, v. 8, p. e71759, 2013.
- Fleeman, L.M.; Vieira, A.B. Canine Diabetes Mellitus. In: Blackwell’s Five-Minute Veterinary Consult: Clinical Companion: Endocrinology and Reproduction. Wiley-Blackwell, 2017, p. 79-88.