Sarah Cavanaugh (Scruggs), DVM, MS, DACVIM (Cardiology)
Dr. Sarah Cavanaugh received her Bachelor of Science from the University of Florida and then earned her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from Ross University. After graduation, Dr. Cavanaugh completed an internship in small animal medicine and surgery at the Animal Medical Center in New York City. Then, Dr. Cavanaugh completed a residency in cardiology and Master of Science at Colorado State University and became a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Specialty of Cardiology. Dr. Cavanaugh practiced small animal cardiology in Denver, Colorado and then Fort Myers, Florida prior to joining the faculty at RUSVM in 2017.
BS – University of Florida
DVM – Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine
MS – Colorado State University
Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Specialty of Cardiology
Apple Learning Specialist
Essential Skills in Medical Education
Nutrition and Cardiovascular Disease
Degenerative Mitral Valve Disease
- Woo KMT, Barron GH, Daugherty AL, Woo JMP, Kehoe SP, Aguilar LAB, Cavanaugh SM. Cardiac silhouette measurements in ospreys (Pandion haliaetus). Am J Vet Res 80(9): 840-845, 2019.
- Cavanaugh SM, Cavanaugh RC, Gilbert GE, Leavitt E, Ketzis J, Vieira AB. Amino acid concentrations and echocardiographic findings in dogs fed a commercial plant-based diet. Abstract. ACVIM Forum Proceedings. 2019.
- Scruggs SM, Rishniw M. Dermatologic adverse effect of subcutaneous furosemide administration in a dog. J Vet Intern Med 27(5): 1248-50, 2013.
- Scruggs SM, Bright JM. Chronic cardiac tamponade in a cat caused by an intrapericardial cyst. J Feline Med Surg 12(4): 338-340, 2010.
- Scruggs SM, Disatian S, Orton EC. Serotonin transmembrane transporter is down-regulated in late-stage canine degenerative mitral valve disease. J Vet Cardiol 12(3): 163-169, 2010.
- Scruggs SM, Mama K, Bright J, Zirofsky D. Accelerated idioventricular rhythm after propofol induction in a dog undergoing ocular surgery. Vet Anaesth Analg 37(4): 385-386, 2010.