“Wild” is relative when it comes to animals. For some, it’s squirrels on their front lawns. For others, it’s swimming with great white sharks in the ocean.
Ross Vet alum Dr. Alejandro Morales falls closer to the latter.
As the Director of the ARCAS Wildlife Rescue Center in Guatemala, he works in and with what most would consider truly wild. It also gives him a unique perspective on the interplay between animals, humans and the environment. In other words, it gives him perspective on One Health.
Hence why we brought him in as the keynote speaker for our fourth-annual One Health Week (Oct. 27-Nov. 2).
Focusing on the wildlife in Central America and the Caribbean, and various One Health initiatives throughout the “wild” world, One Health Week will bring people together to talk, learn and workshop on all aspects of the One-Health perspective.
Check out all we have in store below!
Oct. 29 – Phi Zeta Research Day
From meeting our 2019 Veterinary Scholars to viewing our students’ research posters to listening to some amazing research stories from our students during the 3-Minute Thesis competition, the day is jam-packed with events. Here’s the full schedule:
- 10-10:05 a.m. Welcome, opening remarks and a brief address by Alejandro Morales, Director of the ARCAS Wildlife Rescue Center, Guatemala and RUSVM Alumni
- 10:05-10:15 a.m. Brief address by Alejandro Morales, Director of the ARCAS Wildlife Rescue Center, Guatemala, and RUSVM Alumni
- 10:15-11:15 a.m. 3MT Competition – Our students will captivate you with their research stories in just 3 minutes! Come out to support and vote for your favorite presenter!
- 11:15-11:45 a.m. Roundtable Q&A with RUSVM 2019 Veterinary Scholars. Gabriel Sanchez, Zamantha Zayas, and Mariana Alvarex Restrepo, winners of our 2019 BI/NVSS and MAF awards, talk about their recent research experience. Find out more and how you can be our RUSVM Veterinary Scholar for 2020!
- 12-12:45 p.m. LUNCH – Provided as we count up the votes
- 12:45-1 p.m. Awards for 3MT and poster winners, followed by closing remarks
NOTE: Classes and labs on the morning of Tuesday, October 29 have been rescheduled so that all students can attend
Oct. 31 – Evening Symposium
Dr. Alejandro Morales shares his experiences heading up ARCAS and how he and his staff utilize One Health to better the region and beyond.
Nov. 2 – International One Health Day
We’re hosting a community fair to promote health and wellness for animals and humans alike.