The Student American Veterinary Medical Association (SAVMA) coordinates student chapter functions, promotes the exchange of ideas and information among students, and represents its members in matters that concern them, both as students and as future veterinarians.
SAVMA consists of an Executive Board and a House of Delegates (HOD) composed of two representatives from each member chapter. The House of Delegates meets twice yearly; in July during the AVMA Convention, and in the spring during the annual SAVMA Educational Symposium.
STUDENT AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (SAVMA)
The mission of SAVMA is to support, empower, and inspire all veterinary students in improving their lives, education, and career, along with securing a better future for the profession through collaboration with its parent organization, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
The objective of SAVMA is to introduce veterinary students to the concept of organized veterinary medicine; to promote, enhance and support professionalism and veterinary medical education; and to encourage the development and empowerment of students as leaders in the profession of veterinary medicine and the community as a whole.
All members are eligible for benefits provided by the AVMA and SAVMA:
- SAVMA members receive reduced subscription rates to the Journal of the AVMA (JAVMA) and the American Journal of Veterinary Research (AJVR).
- Complementary advance registration to the AVMA Annual Convention held in July/August.
- Access to the AVMA Veterinary Career Center, which provides job listings to match your resume and allows interested employers to search posted resumes. It also lists available post-graduate programs, externships, and preceptorships—private, public, and corporate.
- Free access to student resources to help manage your debt and finance your education at AVMA Student Financial Resources.
- Full access to the Member Center area which includes AVMA professional policies, Council and Committee news, AVMA updates, events, discounts, and more.
- Complimentary subscription/access to The Vet Gazette: the official online journal of the Student AVMA.
If you remain a SAVMA member in good standing and have paid your membership dues throughout veterinary school, you will be granted automatic conversion to AVMA membership upon graduation.
Visit the American Veterinary Medical Association website at What is SAVMA for more information.
Students must apply online for coverage benefits. Student must be a current SAVMA member before applying.
AVMA Professional Liability Insurance Trust (PLIT) provides SAVMA members with access to free student liability coverage for the entire duration of your veterinary schooling. Coverage keeps you safe during clinicals, externships, and other experiences that occur outside of school.*
For more AVMA Liability Insurance information call 1-800-228-7548 or read more in the AVMA PLIT Smart Guide
*Until the day you become a licensed veterinarian, or the end of the policy year, whichever comes first.
AVMA offers complimentary term life insurance for students and has also designed a comprehensive Student Basic Protection Package. For more AVMA GHLIT (Group Health and Life Insurance Trust) for information call 1-800-621-6360 read more here.