WIVC2019 Keynote Speaker
WIVC is proud to announce that this year's keynote speaker is: Professor Stuart W.J. Reid CBE BVMS PhD DVM(Hons) DipECVPH FRSB FRSE MRCVS
Stuart Reid is Principal of the Royal Veterinary College (RVC), University of London. The oldest and largest veterinary school in the world, the RVC recently ranked as the top school globally in the prestigious QS World University rankings. The UK’s only independent veterinary school, in 2017 the college came first in the National Student Survey of all UK universities.
An alumnus of the University of Glasgow, he became one of its youngest professors in 1996 and dean in 2005 before moving to the RVC in 2011. Reid is a recognised by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons as a specialist in veterinary epidemiology and in veterinary public health by the European Board of Veterinary Specialists, and is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology and the Royal Society of Edinburgh. His research interests are focused on zoonotic disease and antimicrobial resistance. He has over 160 scientific publications, most recently in PNAS and Science, and he has secured over £15M in competitive funding during his career.
Reid was President of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) in 2014-15, a year which saw the launch of a new Royal Charter, the introduction of the courtesy title of “Dr” for UK veterinarians, the embracing by the College of its international diaspora, and a far reaching overhaul of its 50 year old governance structures. In addition, two major initiatives – Vet Futures and Mind Matters were initiated and he ran the 2015 London marathon to raise awareness and $20k USD for mental health issues in the profession. He has also been president of the European College of Veterinary Public Health and honorary secretary of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges, in both cases the first UK national to hold these positions.
In his public service, he has been a trustee of The Donkey Sanctuary since 1996 and Chairman of Trustees since 2007. The charity is now the largest of equine welfare organisation worldwide. He is a Trustee of the University of London and sits on the Board of the Food Standards Agency in the UK. Reid has been recognised for his work by industry (Pfizer, Petplan Charitable Trust), the profession (the British Veterinary Association’s Wooldridge Medal and the Dalrymple-Champneys Cup), his alma mater (the McCall Lecture, University of Glasgow) and his scientific discipline in the UK, EU and USA. He was awarded a CBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours in 2018 for services to the veterinary profession and higher education.
Photo Credit: Mark Thomas of the Veterinary Record.
Meet our 2019 Speakers
The WIVC2019 program includes topics such as radiology (small and large animal), nutrition, surgery (small and large animal), dentistry, immunology and vaccinations, wildlife, communication, veterinary business and management. Masterclasses and hands-on wet labs will also be available.
- Larry Alexander, healthcare management and finance leader (generously sponsored by First Financial Bank)
- Dr. Heather Barron, renowned exotics and wildlife expert
- Dr. Sarah Cavanaugh, board-certified cardiologist
- Dr. Robert Cole, board certified radiologist
- Dr. Callie Fogle, board-certified equine surgeon
- Dr. Jonathan Fogle, board-certified internal medicine specialist and expert immunologist
- Dr. Wade Gingerich, board-certified veterinary dentist
- Shelley Johnson, industry leader in veterinary leadership and practice education (generously sponsored by Patterson Veterinary)
- Dr. Jocelyn Mason, veterinarian and industry leader
- Dr. Kevin McAbee, board-certified small animal surgeon, specializing in orthopedics
- Dr. Alison Morton, board-certified equine surgeon and sports medicine expert
- Dr. Michael Robbins, nutrition expert (generously sponsored by Hill’s Pet Nutrition)
- Dr. Nancy Loes, nutrition expert (generously sponsored by Nutramax)
- Dr. Susannah Sample, board-certified surgeon and researcher on laryngeal paralysis, genetic diseases and early gonadectomy
- Dr. Ibrahim Shokry, toxicologist and toxic plant expert
- Kim Spelts, anesthesia veterinary technician specialist
- Dr. Natasha Werpy, board-certified radiologist, specializing in large animal radiology
- Wendy Whitmore, business and training consultant